Sunday, December 29, 2013

Goodwill Chair Makeover - THE REVEAL


Hey Everyone!

Sorry for the 2 month hiatus - I've had a busy couple of months, but I'm finally back :)

I realized that I never posted a reveal of my Goodwill Chair Makeover that my sister and I worked on together.  If you need a refresher on where we left off, click HERE.

I chose a beautiful peacock blue fabric for the front part of the chair - found at Joann.  I bought 2 yards of this fabric.  As for the back, I found a multi-colored toile fabric at Hobby Lobby and bought just 1 yard.  I couldn't find a link for either of the two fabrics but I paid around $10-$15 per yard, if I remember correctly.  The rest of my supplies {piping filler cord and dust cover for bottom of chair} were purchased at Joann.  Remember to always use a coupon {both stores have apps you can d/l}!!

Here she is:


I used a trick I learned from the fabulous Kristin | The Hunted Interior:  DOUBLE PIPING. {on a side note:  you MUST follow her blog.  She is so inspiring and has EXCELLENT taste in everything she does!}


Adding a double welt makes you look like a PRO and covers up sloppy stapling ;)  I {my sister} simply sewed two lengths of piping together and we hot-glued it right on top of the fabric.  Easy Peasy.  We just did a single welt for the bottom seat of the chair.  As for the buttons, I used the existing ones and recovered them in the new fabric with some hot glue.


I love how the blue fabric seemingly changes color throughout the day, depending on lighting conditions.

Here's a couple shots of the back:



Toile may not be for everyone.  Heck, I'm not usually drawn to it either, but I love that this particular fabric has so many different colors in it.  I feel like I never see that - it's usually a monochromatic color scheme.  I also love the large scale of it!


What do you guys think?  Not too shabby for my first chair re-upholstery project - eh?

A special THANK YOU goes out to my sister for helping me.  I couldn't have done it without you {literally}!!!

xo
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment